Table of Contents
What Is Epoxy Flooring?
Epoxy is a coating that goes onto the existing concrete floor of your garage. Concrete is well-known for being sturdy and durable. The epoxy adds to that, making it even stronger and longer-lasting. This is especially important for the Florida business owner who needs their garage floor to last through heavy use. Homeowners enjoy floor coatings because of the colors and designs available to make their garage unique.
What You Need to Know About Epoxy Flooring
Before jumping in head first, there are essential things you need to know about epoxy flooring. Those facts are:
- garage floor epoxy is a two-part coating that is mixed together
- it provides a high-gloss finish that paint cannot provide
- it is mildew-, mold-, and waterproof. A must-have in Sarasota, Florida
- there is a strong odor from the epoxy, so ventilation is important
- drying and curing takes about 24 hours
- you need to wait 72 hours before parking a car on the new floor epoxy
- design options include various colors, color flakes, and designs to make your garage reflect your style
What Is The Difference Between Garage Epoxy And Garage Floor Paint?
Many articles online talk about epoxy and garage floor paint, and it can lead to some confusion. However, there is a difference between the two, and it’s essential we pay attention to those differences.
Garage floor paint is epoxy that has been mixed with latex acrylic paint. The paint itself lasts around two years but needs touch-ups every few months, depending on the foot traffic. By adding epoxy to it, it will be a bit stronger and binds with the concrete well. The life of this type of floor is 3-4 years.
Garage epoxy is composed of resins and is much stronger than garage floor paint. This binds with the concrete strongly enough that this type of flooring will last 20 years. Making it a much better option for Floridians.
The Different Types Of Epoxy
Epoxy comes in several types and can offer different benefits. These include:
- pure epoxy – this is the strongest and most expensive of them all, it also takes the longest to cure
- polyester resin – cures faster than pure epoxy and can be installed in lower temperatures
- epoxy acrylates – a combination of pure epoxy and polyester resin, cures faster than pure epoxy and comes with all the benefits
How Much Does It Cost To Epoxy My Garage Floor?
The average cost for a residential garage floor epoxy is around $2-$8 per square foot. A commercial garage can cost approximately $3-$12. Because of the variety of colors, flakes, and designs, the cost will vary and can be above these averages. Know your budget and stick to it!
Installing epoxy on a garage floor can be a bit of a challenge for a novice. However, we have years of experience telling us how to prepare a concrete floor for epoxy coatings properly. In addition, we have the proper tools and safety protocols so that installation is straightforward. Call one of our experts today, and we can help you determine your best options for a great new garage floor.
How long will my epoxy floor coating last?
Epoxy coatings can last up to 20 years.
What is the benefit of an epoxy garage floor?
- strength and durability
- low shrinkage
- less toxicity than other options
- waterproof and thus mold-proof
- resists chemicals and solvents
Should I paint or epoxy my garage floor?
Using garage floor paint is a money-saver but requires touchups every few months so in the end, it becomes a money waster. This is why we highly recommend using an epoxy coating. In order to apply an epoxy coating, it takes a contractor with the right machines and diamond tooling to grind and prep the concrete so the epoxy garage coating bonds to the concrete and makes a lifelong floor. Maintenance and cleaning of epoxy are much more manageable and support its long life.